Sunday, March 15, 2015

Muse #108

My friend, Michele is hosting Muse Challenge #108 and invited me to play along.
Her gorgeous card was very inspiring...


Isn't it lovely? 
I love the mustard, gold and black!
I immediately thought that I would use Altenew's Painted Flowers 
with black outlines and the insides stamped in mustard.
I had the designed planned out and everything...
so you can imagine my extreme frustration when I worked on this card for over
an hour on Tuesday evening... and nothing went right!

First of all, I stamped my black outlines on a Pretty Pink Posh stitched rectangle diecut.
Then, I went to stamp my mustard centres using some Heidi Swapp Mustard ink
and it was all greyish.
Yuck!
So, I started over...

The second time I did better, repeating my process, and the first mustard centre
looked great..... but the second one not so much. Grrr!

On my third attempt, I decided to use my MISTI and use the placement
from the second diecut as my guide.... but started with my centres.
This went well... I did my two layers of centres, stamped my black outlines,
and my sentiment and just went to add one last stamp....
and for some reason, grabbed the first attempt to line it up and not the second.
(I'm going to blame this on Sage. She was sitting at her craft table
playing Lego Friends and was talking to me and distracted me. ;) )
Anyway, the last tiny bloom was stamped in the wrong place!
I was so frustrated that when Austin came downstairs to ask if I wanted to watch an episode
of Lie to Me on Netlix, I said yes and abandoned my craft table.

The next afternoon, however, I got some courage and decided to finish the card.
I started by tossing out the first diecut into the garbage, so I wouldn't make the same mistake.
Then, I diecut two Pretty Pink Posh stitched rectangle diecuts and made two panels,
using my MISTI, starting with the centres stamped in mustard. 
This way, I figured if I screwed up again (yes, I admit, it was my fault, not my darling daughter's!)
then I wouldn't have to start all over again.

Well, the good news is that both panels turned out, so I ended up making two cards.

The first card uses a piece of Fancy Pants patterned paper as my background.
The white panel is matted on a piece of Heidi Swapp patterned paper
and the sentiment is from Wplus9's Fresh Cut Florals.


Here's a close up of my panel:


(See the little sprig right below the sentiment? That's what I messed up on my previous attempt.)

And this card also uses some Fancy Pants patterned paper as the background.
The white panel is matted on PTI true black cardstock.


The sentiment is from Simon Says Stamp's Blessed stamp set.


Thanks for looking!

21 comments:

!neke said...

Beautiful cards !
The yellow is great in Easter time !

Lisa Lara said...

Such beautiful cards Leigh. Love how you stamped those flowers.

Kristie Goulet said...

Gorgeous, Leigh! I LOVE this stamp set and the sentiment!

~amy~ said...

Leigh, love them both! gorgeous!

Megan Carroll said...

Pretty cards Leigh! Glad you got it worked out...I know how you feel ;)!!

Bobby said...

Believe me I know how frustrating it can be sometimes. We we love it so much we keep coming back. And you came back with a bang, Leigh. Your final card(s) are terrific.

Celeste Goff said...

Gorgeous cards! Love the bright pop of yellow on them both!

I Card Everyone said...

You know, Leigh, I just love that you persevered through this process just to play cards with me this week... what a sweet, sweet friend - two masterpieces. I so wish I had that Altenew flower set - but it's really fun watching you create with it... gorgeous!
=] Michele

Lisa Elton said...

I'm worn out just reading this LOL!! Seriously though, all of your hard work and frustration paid off, these are beautiful!

Anita in France said...

So gorgeous, Leigh ... and so worth all that effort! Love that second one ... fabulous sentiment and yummy yellows for Easter! Anita :)

brandco2450@gmail.com said...

The final two cards were well worth the effort. Fabulous.....

Miriam Prantner said...

Beautiful cards! Wonderful takes on the inspiration card!

Pam said...

Fabulous cards! So worth all your effort. I love those flowers!

Mayline said...

Beautiful cards! I love how you play with yellow and black :)

Jo Hooper said...

Gorgeous Cards, love the images. Jo x

Chriss Blagrave said...

Beautiful cards Leigh! So glad that you worked through it to have these gorgeous results! The colours are really beautiful.

Ardyth said...

I just placed a W Plus 9 order and am now kicking myself for not ordering this set - this card is gorgeous! So glad you joined us at Muse this week, Leigh!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!! That's my favorite rose stamp!!!

cm said...

Wow, Leigh, your perseverance has paid off immensely with the results being two stunning cards! WOW and WOW! I so want a Misti, but the shipping...gah! I've read/seen wonderful things about it and your card is yet more reason to add it to my 'I need this' list!
~c

Clare said...

So pretty! I LOVE those Altenew flowers - I'm so lazy and hardly ever take the time to make sure they're properly aligned, but at least now I know how pretty they look when they are! lol!

Audrey Pettit said...

I know how frustrating that is, when nothing seems to turn out right.... but I am SO glad you persevered because these are absolutely stunning, Leigh! OMWord.... STUNNING!