Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Some treats while I'm gone, part 1



I'm leaving today for 11 days to travel to the DR Congo with a team of five from my church. This is my second trip to the Congo (I went in February 2010-- if you'd like to see photos from that trip, click here) and again, I'm serving as our team translator.

I was thinking about how much I look forward to the 5th to the 15th of each month because PTI posts sneak peeks on Nichole's blog on those days. It's so nice to have something to look forward to getting out of bed for. So, I thought I'd do something for my family while I'm gone and make treat bags for them to open, one for each day.)

I wanted to go a more inexpensive route, so I decided to use kraft lunch bags to make up the treat bags. I also used PTI white cardstock, pure poppy ink and a date stamp, so they'd know which ones to open each day.

In each bag, they'll find a treat to share among the four of them, as well as a note from me.


For this tag, I used PTI spiral note book die and a stamp from PTI's Road Trip set. I used pinking shears to cut the bag and sewed up the bottom. I also stuck a small glassine bag to hold the treat (I can't remember what's in each one, but the candy ones are either Hershey's Kisses, Reese Peanut Butter cups, mini-chocolate bars and Starbursts.)


Again, I used a stamp from PTI's Road Trip stamp set and PTI's Mat Stack 4 die. I made a pocket by stitching the bag together on the three sides and used a border punch along the top.


For this third trip, I made a "sour cream container" by rolling a piece of PTI kraft cardstock into a cylander and stitched the one end shut. I added the candy and then stitched the top shut, along with the tag. The stamp is from Close to My Heart (CTMH) and the tag is a PTI Fillable Frames (#8).


And for this last treat, I purchased a video rental gift certificate and put it in an envelope. I cut the Mat Stack 5 die from one side of a paper bag and used the negative to wrap around the envelope. The stamp is CTMH.

Thanks for looking!

7 comments:

Tara Elias said...

Leigh, this is such a great idea! Really inspiring. Have a great trip!

Kara said...

such a sweet idea!! have a great time!

Joyce said...

Safe travels to you. I can't believe you're on your trip already. Great idea to leave something for your family for each day.

carol (krillsister) said...

What a wonderful thoughtful ides. These are great.
I hope your trip turns out to be everything you expect. May God watch over you and keep you safe!

Deb said...

Leigh, these are fantastic! I hope you have a fabulous time on your trip!!!

Elena said...

Very cute idea! Have a wonderful trip!

Kelly Griglione said...

First of all, CONGRATS on your win at PaperCrafts!! So super excited for you! And how sweet is this?!? What a great idea, and you're such a great mom for putting this together for them while you're gone. You must be very organized as well, to have made these before your trip, AND to blog about them!! Very impressed : )