Monday, September 06, 2010

Apple pies

I thought I'd share my recipe for making apple pies...

My grandma's no-fail pie dough recipe:

5 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 lb. of Tenderflake lard
1 egg
milk
1 tbsp. vinegar

Mix together the flour, salt and b. powder. Cut up the lard and add it, mixing until it resembles course crumbs. Crack an egg into a measuring cup and beat it with a fork. Add milk until it comes to 1 cup. Add vinegar, beat and add to flour mixture, mixing well.

Now for the pies.

Wash your apples (I picked mine from my Goodland tree in my backyard.)



Peel and core them, cutting them into bite size pieces. I put them in salted water so they don't get too brown.



Roll out your pastry and put in the bottom of a pie plate.



Add apples.



Mix together 1/2 cup of white sugar and 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon. Pour over apples. Dot with butter.



Roll out more pastry, cut some vents into it and cover the apples. Flute the edges.



Sage asked if she could take a picture of me, baking pies.



Put it in the oven and bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes, then at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes.



(I made 15 of these today. :)
Four will go to the kids' teachers and 10 will go in my freezer.
And the last one will be enjoyed by our family this evening.)

Thanks for looking!

7 comments:

Rebecca Keppel said...

Wow, those pies look amazing! Thanks for the recipe! How nice to have a freezer full of apple pie already and it's only September!

ellen s. said...

15!? wow that is amazing. they are gorgeous and i am def writing that down b/c i am a terrible baker.

i have to laugh b/c most of my grandmother's recipes have lard in them ")

Anonymous said...

I want to bake some just so my house will smell heavenly- your photos are lovely too ♥

wendyp said...

sounds yummy!!! beautiful photography!

Julie Overby said...

Seeeeeeeeriously??? Wow!!!! You are my hero. My hubby would fall over if I just made hime ONE apple pie. That's all he ever wants for his birthday. LOL It seems so hard to me! Your photos are beautiful and very inspirational!

Kim said...

I must remember to NOT let my husband see this post!! hahaha...i would be in for it!
You are amazing Leigh! Congrats on the energy boost!
:)

Crystal said...

That is a lot of pies for one day!! How generous of you to share one with each teacher. I know what a huge treat that would be at this time of year. I hope you have a great year subbing too!