Thursday, June 29, 2006

Good for me


At the beginning of 2006, I set two goals. The first was to lose 27 lbs. I’m about half way there.
The second was to run in the Terry Fox 10km Run in September. To do so, I knew I needed to start training.
I’ve never run before. Ever. I never liked it and would use my asthma as an excuse not to. But inspired by the Terry Fox movie last fall and all the runners I know, I decided to start.
So, I started slowly. I ran for a block and walked for a block. I did this for 2.5 km every few days, until I built up to running for two blocks and walking for one. Again, over and over for 2.5 km. Today, I ran 3, walked 1. After I’m able to do four blocks of running, I’ll increase my distance.
I knew that running would be good for my physically. However, I was surprised at how good it has been for me spiritually.
I get up at 6:15am to be able to be back before Cameron has to leave to go drive bus. I heard that it’s easier to get outside if you know someone is waiting for you, so I imagine that Jesus is waiting for me at the end of my driveway and we go for a run together.
It’s great. I pray, vent, praise and plan my day, but with Jesus in mind. I ask him questions and try to listen for the answer. I enjoy the beautiful day he’s given me, with him.
It has been so wonderful for me, I can’t even begin to describe it.So I’m very thankful that I started running. It’s been really good for me.

2 comments:

Heather M. said...

That is SO awesome, Leigh! Running is much the same for me - my time to pray, think, dream, etc. I am so glad you are enjoying this time!

Heather said...

Fabulous!! Good for you.